Monday, March 11, 2013

Advanced Directives and Living Wills

For your reference (you got a copy of this last week)...here's an example of what someone's living will declaration might look like...now you write yours! :) Print it, sign it, date it, have two classmates sign it, and turn it in tomorrow.

Living Will Declaration

I, the undersigned, do fully recognize that death is as much a reality as birth, growth, maturity, and old age-it is the one certainty of life. If the time comes when I can no longer take part in decisions for my future, let this statement stand as an expression of my wishes, while i am still of sound mind.

If I should have an incurable or irreversible illness, accident, or condition that will cause my death within a relatively short time, it is my desire that my life not be prolonged by administration of life-sustaining procedures. If my condition is terminal and I am unable to participate in decisions regarding my medical treatment, I direct that __________________will make the decision of whether or not to withhold or withdraw procedures that merely prlong the dying process and are not necessary to my comfort or freedom from pain. By this declaration I am not asking you to withhold food or drink. It is my intention that this declaration shall be valid until revoked by me.

This request is made after careful consideration. I hope that you who care for me will feel morally and legally bound to follow its mandate. I recognize that this appears to place a heavy responsibility upon you, but it is with the intention of relieving you of such responsibility and of placing it upon myself in accordance with my strong convictions, that this statement is made:

DATED this ________________day of ________________, 2013

_________________________________________(signature)

_________________________________________(Witness #1)

_________________________________________(Witness #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment